My parents recently went apple pickin’. They returned with 5 BOXES stuffed with beautiful Fuji’s. This was “gotta use these up in a variety of creative ways stab #1.”
It sounds difficult, looks impressive but a great way to fool your family and friends.
When I was 9, I swore I would never ever make pie crust, pastry dough, puff pastry, phyllo…or what have you. Oh, if I could travel back 17 years, I would tell lil ole Angie about this bad boy: 3 ingredient pastry dough–get outta here!
- 2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter
- 8 oz of softened cream cheese
- 2 cups flour + 1 ts fine salt
- 2 granny smith + 2 fuji's sliced (reserve some thin slices for the top)
- 2 tb melted butter
- 2 tb sugar + 1 ts cinnamon
- ¼ ts of freshly grated nutmeg
- Juice from1/2 a lemon
- Sugar in the raw
- For the dough, blend your butter and cream cheese and slowly add in your flour + Salt.
- Press onto the bottom of your tart pan.
- Blind bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (you can insert a sheet of foil/parchment on top of the crust and fill the cavity with pie weights or beans if you'd like, I did).
- For the filling, take your apples and drizzle on the butter, spices, and lemon. Bake in a separate baking dish for about 20 minutes or so. Mash into chunky bits and fill your prepared crust.
- Top with pretty slices of apples, sprinkle liberally with raw sugar and bake at 350 for 15 minutes (and hit it with the broiler at the last minute for an extra 5 minutes--keep your eye on it)!