Mac & Cheese
Confession #236: as a kid, I hated mac & cheese which probably made me the only kid in the world to hate it. I know, I’m a weirdo. I do however have many happy memories of gluing macaroni to construction paper and lacing them together to make elaborate pasta necklaces to give to people who never wore them. I made a solemn vow then and intend to keep it now and forever that if a kid ever gives me a macaroni necklace, I’m going to wear it dammit!!
As a “grown up” and I use that word loosely lol, I’ve come to love, love, love the stuff. I view it as a tragedy of sorts for those who have only experienced the kind in the blue box.
The mac & cheese I’ll be sharing with you today can be baked off with any cheeses you want or like. This one is stuffed with smoked gouda, gruyere, and sharp cheddar–I like fontina too but you could also use colby, monterey jack, or even velveeta or cream cheese! The only rule to this mac is similar to the one you had in kindergarten when you were gluing macaroni to your hearts content: have fun with it! Dare to experiment and make it your very own, special and personalized mac & cheese.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 1 c whole milk + 1 c cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c smoked gouda + 1 c gruyere + 2 c sharp cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ts smoked paprika
- ½ ts dried thyme
- S & P to taste
- Heat your dairy/butter.
- Slowly stir in your cheese (reserve some for the top)
- Take it off the heat and whisk in your eggs.
- S & P to taste
- Turn out your cooked pasta into a baking dish and bathe it in your cheese sauce.
- Top with even more cheese, a bit of paprika and thyme.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350 for 20-25 minutes. Don't worry if the center is jiggly--what you don't want to do is over bake.
The important things is.
I hope that this comforts you and makes your belly happy!!!
Belly smiles and cheesy goodness
Your Squishy Monster