Korean Stir Fried Glass Noodles JapChae 잡채
I got a few requests recently for a veggie video. Sometimes I’ll snack on baby carrots with ranch. I didn’t suppose that would make for an interesting video. I thought about it and the realization that there are volumes and volumes of Korean recipes that spotlight veggies started flooding my notebook. How to choose, how to choose? Simple. I almost always narrow down video choices to what I feel like eating that day. (Hope that answers that question).
This dish is great. When I was compiling a list for future videos, a lot of them were mama’s favorites—fermented veggies, spicy veggie banchan, fried veggie pajeon, hot veggie soups. Those, I promise will come. This dish is great because it displays such a colorful variety of fresh Veggies (an awesome way to sneak in allll sorts of veggies), it’s fun to eat (and slurp with the kids)! and like I mention in the video, it takes 20 minutes! Oh, and not to mention, the one below will yield leftovers that are still great for days!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1½ c onion
- 2 bundles of “dangmyeon”/sweet potato noodles
- ¼ c sesame oil
- 1 c bell peppers
- 1 c julienned carrots
- 2 c shitake mushrooms (you can use whatever variety of Mushrooms you like or are within your budget/accessibility.
- 1 package of baby spinach
- ¼ c measure of soy sauce + 2 tb sesame oil + 2 tb sugar
- ¼ c reserved noodle water
- Pepper & sugar to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Cook off your noodles and lubricate with your ¼ c sesame oil (put them in a pretty large and deep bowl)
- Lay your spinach directly on top of the hot noodles. The heat will help wilt and “cook” them down.
- Stir fry your garlic on your bed of onions. Set aside.
- Stir fry all of your other veggies: peppers, carrots, mushrooms, etc. (Remember to S & P each layer)
- Gather everything together in the bowl with your noodles.
- Dunk in your soy-sauce, sesame oil, sugar “sauce” and reserved noodle water
- Extra salt won’t be necessary but finish off with just a kiss of sugar to balance everything out..about 1-2 tb.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve warm.
Slurp lots & have fun!
Love, your back to health and happy Squishy Monster!!!