What’s Sticky and Spicy and Hot all over??…
If you guessed Ddukbokki, you’d be right!!!….did you think it was something else?
I’ve only gotten food poisoning twice in my life. Both instances just happened to coincide with Vacations. The first time, I was in New York visiting family for Christmas. It was eventually revealed that undercooked Brownies were to blame.
The second time was in Korea. We had gotten Ddukbokki from a Street Vendor (it’s an extremely popular Street Food there).
Needless to say, I quickly developed a great dislike for both. It took me a really long time to sink my teeth into a fudgy Brownie or even muster up a smile for a bubbling, screaming Red bowl of this Spicy and Sticky goodness. I’m happy to say that I’ve since gotten over it so cue the delicious Ddukbokki!!
Spicy Korean Rice Cake Dish (Ddeokbokki or Dukbokki)
- 4 c Rice Cake Sticks, found in the refrigerated/frozen section or near the Rice shelves (unrefrigerated)
- 5 c Water + 5 large Anchovies
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Garlic
- 3 Crab Sticks or 1-2 sheets of Fish Cake
- 5 tb Red Pepper Paste (Gochujang)
- 1 tb Fish Sauce
- 2 tb Sugar
- 1 tb Honey (or Corn Syrup, Agave, or Rice Syrup–whatever you have on hand)
- 2 tb Sesame Oil
- 1 tb Sesame Seed (more if you’d like)
- Optional:: Green Onions, Cabbage, Carrots, etc.
- Soak your Rice Sticks for at least 30 min in water (doesn’t need to be hot or cold, your tap will do)
- In a large pot, bring your stock to a boil with the Water and Anchovies. Give it about 15-20 min. Drain and add your Onion, Garlic, Pepper Paste, Fish Sauce, Sugar, Honey and Sesame Oil.
- Tumble in your Rice Sticks. Wait for it to thicken slightly
- Toss in your Meat and sprinkle with Sesame Seeds
You can definitely sub a portion of the aforementioned ingredients for whatever you’d like.
Anchovy Stock = Veggie/Chicken Stock Crab Sticks/Fish Cake = (Hot Dogs, Beef, Chicken, etc) Fish Sauce = Soy Sauce
Copyright © 2012 The Squishy Monster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at: thesquishymonster.com/contact-me.