Author: The Squishy Monster
- Video Recipe (with Eggs)
- •6 Yolks
- •3 tb Sugar
- •Zest of one Orange/Lemon
- •2 c strong, cooled Espresso + 2 tb Rum (or Madeira, Vin Santo, Amaretto, Brandy, Kahlua, Frangelico, Marsala, etc).
- •1 lb softened, room temperature Marscarpone Cheese + 3 tb Sugar
- •6 Egg Whites + ½ ts Cream of Tartar (beaten to stiff peaks)
- •35-40 Savoiardi (crisp Lady Fingers)
- •Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Whisk your yolks, sugar, and zest in a heat proof bowl over a double boiler (few inches of simmering water, not touching your bowl, fitted on top). You want to achieve a pale blonde color. It's ready when it's nice and thick, think the consistency of loose pudding. This essentially makes a zabaglione. Allow this to cool.
- In a separate bowl, dribble in your espresso and liquor, set aside (this will be for your cookie bath)
- In another bowl, cream together your marscarpone cheese, sugar, and zabaglione. Don't over beat the cheese or it will get stiff on you.
- In another bowl (yes, there are a lot of bowls involved, but be forgiving as this tiramisu comes bearing the gift of deliciousness)! beat your egg whites/cream of tartar until they reach stiff peaks and stand up on their own.
- Fold your beaten egg whites into your marscarpone.
- To assemble, dip your lady finger's into your espresso/liquor, arrange onto the bottom of a trifle bowl, baking dish/etc.
- Generously spread in your custard.
- Dust with lots of cocoa
- Allow your tiramisu to chill in the fridge as long as you can resist. The longer it sits, the better. (Overnight is fantastic).
Recipe (with no Eggs) •Keep everything the same except, omit the Zabaglione and Meringue mixture. Instead, sub with 2 c Heavy Cream. Whip it just as you would the Meringue with 3 tb Sugar and fold into your Marscarpone mixture. From there, dunk your Cookies into your Espresso/Liquor bath, dollop over your Marscarpone/Cream mixture, dust with lots of Cocoa and repeat. ?I find the Eggs lend a richer, more full bodied Tiramisu experience but I understand that lots of people are worried about eating raw Eggs so if you're concerned about your quality of Eggs, def. go with the option you're most comfortable with.