It’s rare for me to get a Saturday off so when I do, it’s divine. Any down moment is best spent indulging in all things yummy and this is especially true on the weekends. It’s even rarer to be able to have breakfast with baby brother so he helped me make crêpes and we ate them together Baby brother has many talents but doing anything in the kitchen but eating, is not one of them. He will gladly sing you a lullaby to sleep and maybe even a good morning song the next day but ask him to fry an egg and forgettaboutit! Crêpes are fantastic because they’re a breeze and they reward you with a delicious mouthful (or two, or three…)
- 2 c flour
- 4 tb sugar
- ½ ts fine salt
- 1 c whole milk/buttermilk
- 1 c water
- 4 tb melted butter
- 3 ts pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Tip all your wet ingredients into a blender and pulse to combine.
- Sift in your dry ingredients (in three separate additions) into the blender. Lumps are your friend, you just don’t want to over mix.
- If you have the patience or time, stick your batter into the fridge for about 30 minutes. I find that this really helps with minimizing tearing your crepe sheets.
- Melt 2 tb of butter on your griddle/pan, and ladle in about ¼ c of your batter, more or less, depending on the size of your pan, and swirl to blanket the surface. You are aiming for a paper thin sheet.
- Flip only once. It helps to use a rubber spatula (and your fingers, if you’re brave).
- Allow them to rest/cool in a single layer.
- Serve/stuff/drizzle with whatever you please.
I hope that you make these with your kids and that you’re having a delicious weekend!
Your Squishy Monster