Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
I woke up to a thick layer of ice glazed over my windshield so you’d better believe that after I got all the necessary things out of the way, I made a beeline for the kitchen and whipped up two gigantic mugs of this delicious hot chocolate (all for me, mind you). There’s something about the thick velvety texture and contrast of the soft pillowy cream and bite from the sticky caramel sauce that makes you feel instantly comforted. For me, it’s also nostalgia. How many of you guys can recall childhood moments where hot chocolate was just positively necessary? It’s just what happened when you came bounding in breathlessly from an epic snow ball fight and you’re tracking in dirty snow with mom telling you how she just mopped the floor. So whether this is for yourself to recreate happy memories with or you’ve now got kids of your own, I highly recommend not only making this, but whipping up two…one to warm you up and the other because more chocolate is never a bad thing!
- 2 c half and half
- 5 oz chocolate
- 1 ts vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 c brown sugar
- ½ c heavy cream
- 4 tb unsalted butter
- 1 ts grey sea/fleur de sel/kosher salt
- 1 ts vanilla
- ½ c cold whipping cream
- ½-1 tb sugar
- ½ ts vanilla
- Begin by heating your half and half.
- Slowly tumble in your chocolate and whisk until incorporated.
- Tip in your vanilla and salt.
- For the sauce, cook everything but the vanilla over medium-low heat for about 5-10 minutes whisk until the entire mixture gets thicker. Turn off the heat and whisk in your vanilla. Cool, pour into a container and refrigerate until use.
- For the whipped cream, make sure all your components are cold and using a whisk attachment, begin beating your cream.
- Sprinkle in your sugar and vanilla and continue beating. The entire thing should come together within 5-10 minutes.
Love and more chocolate!
Your Squishy Monster ^.~