Skate Fish Sashimi Salad
When we were itty bitty, Mama would put something on your plate and you knew not to gripe or pout and stomp. You ate it or you didn’t eat. An array of ruby colored salads would be paraded before us but really, as a kid, it all kind of bled together into one heap and this salad was just another I gnawed on, not appreciating it for what it was. Today, it sits high on the shelf labeled “delicious delicacy” though, many would disagree. One could say it has a distinct smell. We eat it cartilage and all (its entire skeletal structure is comprised of it) with not a single complaint.
What in the world is Skate?
It belongs to the shark family and resembles a sting ray (sort of). We consume the “wing” portion and often serve the “mottled skate” variety.
I’ve actually never had it prepared any other way but raw.
Here’s mama’s recipe for fermented Skate fish salad.
- 2 chopped skate wings
- 2 ts salt
- 3 tb apple cider vinegar
- 2 tb minced garlic
- 1 ts finely minced ginger
- 2 ts sesame seed
- 3 tb sugar
- ½ chopped Korean pear
- ½ c julienned Korean radish
- ½ c chopped cucumber
- 3 tb red pepper flakes (Gochugaru)
- 2 chopped green onions
- Optional: watercress
- In your first bowl, combine your wings and vinegar. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- After this time has elapsed, squeeze out all the excess moisture.
- In a second bowl, sprinkle the salt on your radish and cucumber. Let this sit for about 15 minutes and squeeze out the excess moisture from them as well.
- In your third bowl, combine the rest of your ingredients and add in your first and second bowl as well. Mix and toss to combine.
- Garnish with green onions.
My hope is that you’ll at least give this a try once in your life but then again, your Squishy friend also adores durian so it’s all up to how brave you are.
Are you up for the challenge?
Your (loves stinky foods) Squishy Monster ^.~