Video Recipes – DIY's – Island Life – Travel – Natural Living – Minimalism

Steakhouse Steak

Sure, I want chocolate to be involved this Valentine’s Day but truly, it just wouldn’t do without a big ole’ honkin’ steak for me.  What can I say?  This girl’s a carnivore.  I dabble in vegan at times, but steak {followed by chocolate} is the way to this girls heart 😉

This method will show you how to create a golden crust to seal in the juices, keep your meat tender and juicy, and cook it right at the temperature you want.

httpv://youtu.be/9aXmilz4eEI

5.0 from 5 reviews
Steakhouse Steak

• Steak {of your choice, but the higher the grade, the better}
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Oil {extra virgin will not do}
  • 2 tb unsalted butter
  1. If you have the time, dry brine your steak by liberally sprinkling with salt on both sides and chilling in the refrigerator for a couple hours. This will further tenderize and enhance the flavor of the meat.
  2. Rinse and pat the steak completely dry. The drier, the better.
  3. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Massage everything in.
  4. In a *very* hot skillet, {you should heat it up for at least 10 minutes. Yes, it will smoke but it will be worth it} sear the meat for 2-3 minutes and *do not move.* This will allow the fat the time to melt and caramelize, creating that coveted crust.
  5. Top with butter and flip. Again, do not move and let it sit undisturbed for 2 minutes.
  6. Pop the entire thing into a 500* oven {or the hottest your oven will go}. Leave it for 3-5 minutes until it reaches your desired doneness.*
  7. Take the meat out of the skillet so it doesn't continue to cook and allow it to rest on a plate. I personally do not like to tent it but that's up to you.
Notes
120* Rare
125* Medium Rare
135* Medium
150* Medium Well

32 thoughts on “Steakhouse Steak

• Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe- I’m planning on serving steak and your cooking temps and tips are great use to me! 🙂

• mmmm that steak looks so perfect! I looove steak!

• Very tender and juicy! Your steak is cooked to perfection, Angie.

Definitely a V-Day worthy meal!

• brian says:

steak + chocolate are different things??? always thought steak was just a chewy chocolate bar! hahaha i just baked a “brookie” a brownie cookie. it looks like a little cookie but with brownie taste…like the archway dutch cocoa cookies it takes like.

• J. Bridges says:

One look at that steak has my mouth watering like you wouldn’t believe. I can’t remember the last time I had a nice, rare steak. (Two, maybe three months ago?) I’ve been trying to change my eating habits since last August, and that’s meant cutting back eating out and taking the home cooking up by several notches. It’s been fun and extremely rewarding – I’ve lost nearly 15 pounds – but it has meant some sacrifices. One of the big ones being that I have no clue how to cook burgers or steak properly. Looking at this though, I think I might just be able to pull it off!

Personally, I think I’m leaning more towards shrimp scampi for my own Valentine’s dinner, but I foresee this being choice number one when Father’s Day rolls around. He and I have been sharing steaks since before I could even reach his elbows. Can’t wait to see the look on his face when I’m finally practiced enough to plop a beauty like yours on his plate!

CONGRATS! 15 lbs is a great accomplishment! Seeing as how you’re already thinking about Father’s day, I see that you’re a planner. I am too. It’s one of the keys to success and I know that you’ll continue to be successful on this healthy living journey, J. I hope you/he enjoys this. It’s definitely one of my faves as I once tried being vegan but quickly banished that plan, LOL. Happy Valentine’s Day!!!

• J. Bridges says:

Hey Angie!

It’s been quite awhile since I last commented on your site. Just wanted to give you an update from waaaay back in February, when I said I wanted to use your technique to cook my dad steak for Father’s Day. Well, I did just that. I set the smoke detectors off probably four times while getting the cast iron to the right temperature (oops), and I need a little work on my timing if I want to get a perfectly rare steak in the future. But! The important thing is that my dad loved it. I put a giant dollop of guacamole on the side and there wasn’t a smudge of beef nor avocado to be seen by the time he was done. He was a happy, happy man, and I was a very relieved daughter.

So anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for the help your video provided! I hope your move has gone as smoothly as possible and that you enjoy your new home. 🙂 God bless!

This makes me so very happy to hear! I’m constantly setting of the alarms too, lol but my baby brother can’t ever say I never use the skillet he gifted me, I just love it for steaks! I’m glad your daddy had a happy and delicious father’s day. You are one awesome daughter for making him feel special. I hope all is well your way. We just got internet and I hope to be back and at it today. Sending you all my best!!!

• The key is not moving the steak 🙂

• Allen says:

I want some of that juicy steak please

• Lester. says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YEAH!! A GREAT LOOKING STEAK THERE Angie! Great job! I LOVE IT! WOOOOO! A happy save LOVELY VALENTINES day to you also.
    Love.

• What a delicious steak sauce, I bet the flavour it brings out in the meat is awesome 😀

• Definite carnivore here but meat cooking challenged so really love this recipe to keep it juicy, looks amazing.

• Amelia says:

Hi Angela, wow…your steak look awesome. Your version sound so easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Have a nice day ahead. 🙂

• Louise says:

This girl is a carnivore too, Angela! Surf and Turf is a personal favorite of mine on Valentine’s Day, with chocolate for dessert of course. Your steak looks just right!!! I love that knob of butter touch. I must try that immediately! (well as soon as I get me a great piece of steak anyway:)

Thank you so much for sharing, Angela…