Korean Food, Baking, DIY's & So Much More!

Barley Tea 보리차

When I was younger, I didn’t understand why we were always drinking roasted barley tea instead of water.  We always had gigantic jugs of it in the fridge and when we’d have supper, we’d often get hot barley tea.  Sometimes, we’d even have rice soaked in barley tea for breakfast and it got to the point where I was done with it.  There came a period where I shunned this tea and hoped to be rid of it for good.  Of course this didn’t last long.  When I rediscovered it I couldn’t stop drinking it, certainly making up for lost time.

I prefer mine hot and unsweetened but you can serve it cold, sweeten to taste and even add lemon.  I like to sip mine over a good book and enjoy its naturally light and nutty taste.  It smells like home to me and it doesn’t hurt that it’s good for you.  Touted for its natural antioxidant and digestive properties, it’s said to flush out toxins in your body and regulate blood pressure too.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Barley Tea

• 1-2 tb per 1 c water
  1. Boil cold, filtered water.
  2. Steep the barley for 5-30 minutes {depending on personal preference}

Don’t throw it away!  I like to use mine for a yummy barley risotto.

38 thoughts on “Barley Tea 보리차

• Amelia says:

Hi Angela, I yet to try this roasted barley. The tea look very refreshing. What we do is boil the barley, add rock sugar either drink hot or cold.If serve cold, I add lime juice and ice cube. Very refreshing.

Best regards.

• Libby says:

I discovered barley tea a few years ago and I love it! That said, I probably would not have liked it when I was a child… haha.

I remember desperately wanting clear water just like my friends in grade school and wondering why we were so hopelessly weird, lol!

• Hannah says:

I always forget about how much I love barley tea! You never see it in the US, which is a real shame considering how healthy and refreshing it is. Definitely one to start making as the weather warms up again.

I especially love that you can make it at home AND that it’s so economical. I can’t say the same for coconut water, which I love {just really dislike the price}

• Deepti says:

Yes, I have read a lot about this and its really a wonderful way to remove toxins and help a lot better in digestion… Even today when my stomach is upset, my mom advises me have this first!
    lovely post…

Some folks are having trouble finding it and I’d recommend brown water tea too, I hear it heals an upset stomach as well =)

I love the nutty flavor of barley tea! yum!

• Brooks says:

Angela, I’ve never heard of barley tea, but I must say I’m most intrigued. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• this is very interesting and intriguing!

• Alice says:

Hey Angie! I love your traditional Korean food and especially how you’re quirky nature comes across in your vids! Thought I’d stop by to say hi on the blog. I too remember drinking barley tea and loving the cold, smooth thickness of the barley water. Love the idea of using the pulp for risotto too!

Hey Alice! I’ve been saving the rest in a mason jar this past week and am trying to compile other recipes to use all my leftover barley, let me know if you have any suggestions =)

• Louise says:

I haven’t had barley tea in years, Angela. When I was a child we often had barley tea but I don’t think my parents made it for us. I think either one of my aunts or cousins prepared it. It’s been such a long time since I have even thought of it.

I think barley was once one of the firsts foods given to babies so it doesn’t surprise me about the barley “water” for babies. Such an interesting and thought provoking post Angela over such a healthy and simple tea. Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing…

• Sammie says:

Mmmm! I’m probably the biggest barley fan here! I’ve tried the Korean Barley Tea before and I must say it’s absolutely refreshing! How awesome is it to see this post!

I’ve been collecting the used up barley in the fridge for the past week and am trying to compile a recipe list of dishes that can be prepared with it. Let me know if you have any suggestions =)

• brian says:

barley tea. i like tea. maybe i try. 8)

It’s very mild {but a distinct taste for sure} definitely worth trying. Let me know what you think Brain!

• brian says:

i finally found some barley at a store to steep. it strange there is plenty corn, rice, wheat + quinoa but difficult to find barley! will let u know if like. 8)

Sometimes, we get some with the corn because it’s said to be “sweeter” and cut through the bitterness that barley can impart {something I’ve never picked up on}. You must’ve picked up a blend. I’ve never tried that so I’ll have to drink vicariously through you! =)

• We have something like that and call it “coffee”. Thanks for sharing! 🙂 ela

• Veronica says:

That’s so interesting! I used to be a Scientologist and L. Ron Hubbard had a recipe for baby formula that was basically the water leftover after you boiled barley, though I think it was boiled a long time to get more calories out of the barley and into the water (can’t remember exactly as I was a long way off from having kids when I was reading it). So now we both learned something from each other today! 🙂

And I also had no idea you used to be a scientologist so it’s something else I learned about you! Btw, finally got in contact with Suzie!! Geez, I was so worried there!!

• I’ve never heard of barley tea. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Lester. says:

This tea sounds, Healthy, Interesting , and delicious Angie. Thanks for sharing this .Have a LOVELY s day!!

It’s 85 today (after a freezing weekend, lol!) so today, I’m having mine cold so today is a very lovely day! Sun is out and I can’t ask for more =)

• I have never tried this tea, but it certainly looks soothing 😀

• I like mine hot and unsweetened too. Thanks for sharing, Angie.
    Have a wonderful day!

• Sissi says:

I had barley tea once hot and didn’t like it at all. Then I tasted it cold in the middle of the summer and it was really good! Thank you so much for this simple recipe. It will be a nice change from water when it gets hot.