Mini Pumpkin Pies
I recently had the dilemma of transporting several pies to a holiday party and lo and behold 7 of said pies had apparently experienced a bit of turbulence and their delicate flaky crusts had crumbled. The silver lining here was that I was able to hoard the buttery bits for myself, done in the spirit of concealing the evidence but mostly to satiate the crying “give it to meeee” in my head. Also, 3 of the other pies were just fine but any way you look at it, the odds weren’t great. From now on, I think I’ll make a safer journey with these mini pies that are itty bitty in size but bold in flavor.
- ⅔ c unbleached flour
- ½ tb sugar
- ¼ ts fine salt
- 5 tb frozen butter, cubed/shredded
- 1½ -2 tb ice water
- 1 c homemade pumpkin puree
- ½ ts pumpkin spice
- ⅛ ts fine salt
- ¼ c room temperature heavy cream
- 1 room temperature egg
- ½ ts pure vanilla extract
- Optional: whipped cream and sprinkles
- In a food processor, quickly pulse the flour, sugar, salt, and a bit of butter at a time until the mixture becomes crumbly. You don’t want to over work this.
- After all the butter has been added, slowly tip in the tiniest bit of water at a time until the dough lumps together. Again, you don’t want to over work the dough.
- Gather the dough into plastic and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- For the filling, blend everything together until creamy and combined.
- Take out the crust about 10 minutes or so before rolling onto a lightly floured surface. Stamp out circles with a round cutter or simply cut them out rustically with a paring knife.
- In a lined mini cupcake tin, tuck the crusts onto each bottom and top with the filling.
- Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes. Cool completely and top with whipped cream if desired.
I will be traveling from November 23rd-30th. Videos will resume the first week of December. Happy Thanksgiving, loves!
Your Squishy Monster