Korean Food, Baking, DIY's & So Much More!

Korean Spicy Rice Cakes Tteokbokki 떡볶이

I’ve always thought of this classic staple dish as the Korean version of a mac and cheese after-school snack.  Though it’s both spicy and hot, we were served this as kids and one any street corner, you’ll find this being served being enjoyed by children and grownups alike.  It’s definitely comfort food.  Though it may look unfamiliar, the sentiment remains the same.  Chewy rice cakes are smothered in a creamy, ruby sauce which is often studded with fish cakes or hard boiled eggs but at it’s base, it can be enjoyed as is.

From this dish, so much inspiration has been pulled from the creation of Korean army base soup to rabokki which is part ramen, part tteokbokki.

Spicy Rice Cakes Ddukbokki 떡볶이

Prep time

• 4 c rice cake sticks (found in the refrigerated/frozen section or near the rice shelves-unrefrigerated)
  • 5 c water + 5 large anchovies
  • ½ onion
  • 1 garlic
  • 3 crab sticks or 1-2 sheets of fish cake
  • 5 tb red pepper paste (Gochujang)
  • 1 tb fish sauce
  • 2 tb sugar
  • 1 tb honey
  • 2 tb sesame oil
  • 1 tb sesame seed
  • Optional:: green onions, cabbage, carrots, etc.
  1. Soak your rice sticks for at least 30 min in water (doesn't need to be hot or cold, your tap will do)
  2. In a large pot, bring your stock to a boil with the water and anchovies. Give it about 15-20 min. Drain and add your onion, garlic, pepper paste, fish sauce, sugar, honey and sesame oil.
  3. Tumble in your rice sticks. Wait for it to thicken slightly
  4. Toss in your meat and sprinkle with sesame seeds

6 thoughts on “Korean Spicy Rice Cakes Tteokbokki 떡볶이

• Angeline says:

Hi angie u r teally awesome at making these recipes, but i have a few questions.. Do you use dried anchovies or canned fresh ones and where fo u buy hot pepper paste? Thanks for the recipe!

Thank you very much, Angeline! I keep dried anchovies in the freezer and use the larger ones stock. The pepper paste is something I either get from my mama {homemade} or at the Asian market. You can find it online {like amazon or h-mart too} I hope you enjoy your weekend!!

Hey Angeline! I love large dried anchovies for stock + kelp and my mama used to make homemade gochujang/pepper paste for me while I was at home but since I’ve moved, it’s been difficult to source some of the ingredients I need so I’ve been relying on the internet. You can find tubs of it online {hmart, amazon, etc} I’d recommend purchasing a few small tubs and taste testing to find out what tastes best for you. Look for something without artificial preservatives/ingredients.

>You are so kind, Nabi! Thank you so very much for reading my thoughts. I'm amazed that anyone even cares, lol. You always brighten my day—YOU are wonderful!!

• NabiRina says:

>Hi Angie!!! You have a special gift! You can read my mind, I was wondering if you could make your version of tteokbokki. 🙂 And here it is!!! Thank you for being so wonderful person! I'm totally your fan!!!
    <3 Saranghae <3
    ~Nabi~

• Jethalal says:

I have been looking for this reicpe forever andthrough experimenting I’ve gotten very close with a similar reicpe. I do not cure the tendon, but I basicly just make an infused oil. I cook garlic, ginger, and scallions in oil. With a strainer I pour the hot oil over the dry herbs removing the garlic, scallion, and ginger. The dry herbs are crushed Szechuan Peppercorn, chilis, and fennel (same as yours). I pour the hot oil over the spices and add sea salt, sugar, orange peel, soy sauce, & a touch of sesame oil. I love it, but I think I’m going to try curing it next time. That sounds like a beautiful idea. Thanks for your help.