Bacon Cheese Fritters
This idea sprung up on me one morning as I sat eating a late breakfast of heavy, streaky slices of bacon, topped with melted, broiled cheese, on crunchy, golden toast. These bacon cheese fritters are exactly what I had for dinner that night…an echo of an earlier meal but made even more delicious with the magical properties of hot, bubbling oil.
This is even further accessible for the fact that a). they’re super easy and b). when a generous portion of bacon is fried off and cheese is grated earlier in the day, half your assembling work for dinner is completed.
Here’s how to do it:
- 2 c shredded mozzarella (smoked is very nice)
- 8 slices of crisped bacon
- ½ c Italian bread crumbs + healthy grating of parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 beaten eggs
- Egg wash: 2 beaten eggs + 2 tb cream/whole milk
- 2 c panko bread crumbs
- Combine your ingredients together in a bowl
- Roll a spoonful or so of your mixture into a ball
- Dip your ball into your egg-wash and roll into your panko
- Chill all your prepared fritters in the fridge for at least 30 min
- Fry in batches (the oil should be at 360 or so--a fry thermometer helps)
- Retrieve your fritters when they've reached a deep, golden brown. Remember not to overcrowd the oil and to leave at least 2 inches or so on top in your heavy bottomed pan.
Your Squishy Monster ^.~