Korean Food, Baking, DIY's & So Much More!

Easy Mocha Mochi Rice Cakes 찹쌀떡

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Making homemade mochi rice cakes doesn’t have to be a long winded affair.  It’s true that traditionally, it’s a more difficult, tedious task between pounding steaming sticky dough and standing over a large hot pot that could itself burn you just as badly as the hot mochi dough and it definitely takes as much elbow grease as it does time.  However, with the right proportion of ingredients and an introduction to a contemporary setting, mochi can be made from scratch at home in less than 20 minutes.

This scaled down version is perfect for the home cook but it doesn’t mean it’s been scaled down in either flavor or texture.  My recipe for homemade mochi will produce soft and plush rice cakes with a rich and delicious surprise center.  Within the video, I will show you how to ensure that your mochi is bouncy and chewy, making it look and taste like you created these the hard, old fashioned way.  Only you or I will know that it took less time than baking a cake!  These mochi rice cakes are quick, easy, and delicious and would make fabulous gifts when tucked into pretty tissue in festive boxes too.  Who wouldn’t want a gorgeous array of mochi, each with different colors and flavors?  Check out my cherry cheesecake mochi here and my green tea mochi ice cream here.  And if mocha doesn’t happen to be your thing, you can also substitute the coffee for water and chocolate for the more traditional filling of sweetened red bean paste {or anything else your heart desires}.  Whatever flavor combinations you go with, you can look forward to each incredibly pillowy bite that melts in your mouth.  It’s a textural delight that I can’t quite put into words so I highly recommend trying it for yourself.  You won’t regret it!

4.8 from 8 reviews
Mochi Rice Cakes

Prep time

Serves: 6-8 Mochi
Mochi
  • 1 cup of *sweet* rice flour {not regular rice flour}
  • 4 tb sugar
  • 1 tb sifted cocoa
  • ½ ts fine salt
  • 1 cup of cold coffee
  • Dusting of wheat/corn starch/sweet rice flour
Chocolate Ganache
  • ½ c bittersweet chocolate
  • ¼ c heavy cream
  • ¼ ts fine salt
  • 2 ts rum, bourbon, grand marnier, etc {optional}
  1. In a bowl, whisk together the rice flour, sugar, cocoa and salt.
  2. Slowly pour in the cold coffee and whisk until smoothly combined.
  3. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving space for steam to escape and microwave for 1½ minutes.
  4. Unwrap and work the dough with the back of a wooden spoon. Smash and stretch the dough until it gets thick, sticky, and cohesive.
  5. Cover again and microwave for another 1½ minutes.
  6. Unwrap and stretch/beat the dough again for about 3-5 minutes.
  7. On a surface dusted with wheat/corn starch or sweet rice flour, roll the dough into a long log shape. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Flatten each piece, tuck a piece of truffle into the center and pinch to seal.
  8. To make the truffles, pour boiling cream into the chocolate with the salt and liquor {if using}. Allow to set in the refrigerator for about an hour.
Notes
My microwave is 1.58 kw.

Recommended Sweet Rice Flour: http://amzn.to/1wfcUYT

60 thoughts on “Easy Mocha Mochi Rice Cakes 찹쌀떡

• Mao says:

I made it my boyfriend!! We both LOVED it!! Although the chocolate truffle inside wasn’t firm as it was supposed to be!! Haha it was still really awesome!!
    I wish I can post the picture here tho! Lol

• Hi, Mao! That’s awesome to hear. Thanks for letting me know =) I like to freeze my little truffles to make life easier {or you can always scale back the liquid}. I JUST started using Instagram if you want to post it there =) @ASquishyMonster

• Sabrina says:

Thank you so much! Finally, I found a mochi recipe for my picky daughter who doesn’t like red bean & green tea filling. My daughter definitely like this chocolate filling mochi. I made mochi ice-cream with your recipe last time, she kept asking for more. Thank you for making my cooking a little easier since I’ve a picky eater in the family.

• Esra says:

Hey! I love this recipe. But I want to ask something. Can I use nuttela instead of chocolate

• corina says:

hello angela~~ i want to ask about the sweet rice flour. I am from indonesia and we don’t have sweet rice flour i guess. we only have glutinous rice flour which i use to make pasta for kimchi. can i use them? and about the microwave, i don’t use them. I use traditional oven that heated by the stove. can i use them too??? thank you

• Teresa says:

Hi Angela!
    Just wanted to let you know that I made this for a party of 50 people! (Asian family lol)
    It was a little tough because I just timed your ingredients by 6 but making that big of a batch didn’t quite come out the same way. I also substituted the chocolate for red beans paste (boiled, pureed, then let set). It turned out alright but I think I can do better if I make asmaller batch next time.
    Do you have Any tips for making large batches? I have another party next month.
    Thanks!

Hi, Teresa! I’m so impressed by your undertaking—you go girl! For the filling, I often use this one for adzuki beans: http://thesquishymonster.com/2014/10/steamed-panda-buns-찐빵.html as for multiplying it for that many, I would try and do it all in one fell swoop over the stovetop in a large sturdy pot. This route is much harder {as it requires babysitting and lots of elbow grease} but the act of continuously beating/stretching the dough will yield a much chewier and bouncy finished product. The trick is to never leave its side. It will get really thick {almost impossibly so} but as long as you’re patient and work with it and really pound out the dough, you should be satisfied with the mochi at the end. I hope this helps!

• Katie says:

Ahh, I’m so excited to make these! I’m assuming I can replace with the coffee with water?

• Lisa says:

Hello!

I’m going to attempt this very soon, luckily i have almost all the ingredients in my pantry. Even the sweet rice flour! I just wanted to know if I can use semi-sweet chocolate over bittersweet? I have a lot of semi-sweet chocolate and I’d love to use what I have instead of going to the store for one item.

Thought their percentages are a bit different, for me personally, I can’t detect too much of a strong change and use them pretty interchangeably in my kitchen. Either/or will be perfect. Happy mochi making, Lisa!! =)

• Lisa says:

Thank you! I figured Id just try it and it turned out well. I just need to work on my folding and pinching, they looked a little funny and some filling came out but overall they tasted yummy!

• Mai says:

Hello Angela!! Im a HUGE fan!! Because of you, I’m having the burning desire to cook! Anyways, i tried making the chocolate ganache but it wont set so i cant make it round. Please help me!

Hello! I’m so happy you’re here!! If it’s not setting at room temperature, try sticking it in the fridge/freezer for a bit and it’ll be a scoopable consistency then =)

• Agnes says:

Hello Angela!! I’m a big fan!!! I’m making the chocolate ganache but i can’t mold it to being round. Please help me!!

• payne says:

is it heavy whipping cream or just heavy cream?

• Lorraine says:

I made regular daifuku mochi yesterday, and it came out delicious. Going to try your recipe today, which looks amazing! One note, you forgot to include the sifted cocoa in step 1 in the written instructions. If someone doesn’t watch the video, they would have it left over. Also, I think you mean Grand Marnier (I know, persnickety, LOL! – but maybe you want you know) – in any case, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Favorited and bookmarked, and shared.

• lok says:

1cup of sweet rice flour means how many (g)?

• Josh says:

When you use cocoa powder in the video. Is it required? Instead of heavy cream can it be milk? And for the chocolate, my local japanese supermarket does not have bittersweet chocolate. I just bought the meiji milk chocolate is that okay?

• Monica says:

hi
    i love your recipe
    but, i want to ask some thing
    if i use regular rice flour what’ll happen?
    and if i use the heat from the stove and not from the microwave, is it ok?
    thankyou

i hope you reply my message

Great questions, Monica. Sweet rice/rice flour are not the same. The latter can be used for a different type of rice cake but if you’re looking for tender, chewy mochi cake, you need sweet rice flour. Recently, I’ve even found some in the bulk aisle of my health food stores. You can always find them online and at ethnic stores as well. I’ve not used the stove top method but imagine you will need a steamer basket with a cheesecloth of some sort {or something to line it with}. It would be fun to experiment. Let me know how it works out for you =)

• Grace says:

Hey Angela!

I recently found your channel while searching up mochi recipes for a mochi contest in my Japanese class! Can’t wait to give it a try!

PS. I love how you’re korean! Whoo! (:

Thank you so much, Grace! That’s my mama’s name {great name}! I hope it turns out to be a success. Always happy to meet a fellow food lover + Korean gal =)

• Amelia says:

Hi Angela, coffee and chocolate…… wooohoooo great combination. Love these chewy mochi, yours look awesome. 🙂

Regards.

• I LOVE mochi and I made them before, but Coffee didn’t enter my mind. Thank you so much for the recipe, sounds so, so delicious..I mean coffee+ chocolate,hello!!!It got be be delicious!

• cailee says:

I love Mochi!! Thanks for sharing… it looks delicious!! YUM

I’ve always wanted to learn to make mochi!! This is great!

• Mmmmm… these look really yummy! I’d like to receive some as a gift 🙂

• Nom nom for mochi. A very easy recipe indeed but so delicious, look at that ganache oozing out.

• I’ve never tried this, and can’t wait to make em’ sometime. What an interesting dessert.

• brian says:

i am so lazy. i think i would buy plain mochi from the store + just squirt in the chocolate! haha…chocolate filled donuts is one of my favorite.

• shuhan says:

Love mochi! You amde it so much simpler with your video! Brilliant! Also saw the linked up post for green tea icecream mochi… WTF!!- going over now.

• oh my gosh these sound soooooooo good! I need to find some sweet rice flour and make these asap!

• Lester. says:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Chocolatey! Sexy, Naughty! Delicious and wonderful looking Angie!!Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Love.

May you and your family enjoy this Christmas season!!

• Norma Chang says:

Never thought of using the microwave to cook the sweet rice flour dough, this sure is an easy method.

I remember mama would burn her hands with the traditional method…now it’s yummy mochi sans icky burns =)