Quiche w/ Bacon, Mushroom, & Cheese
You’d think that my family has never heard of holiday ham or Christmas turkey. Our clan does it up big– er, WEIRD I mean. Since I do all of the shopping/cooking at our house (now), it’s since been tamed down to something that at least resembles a holiday feast. There was a time when I was 8 and with no drivers license, that Christmas dinner meant scrambled eggs doused with ketchup and canned corn and beans mixed together (I have a great fondness for each of the aforementioned). That or rice and kimchi jjigae (stewed kimchi soup). For several years now, we’ve done a Christmas brunch following the ritual Christmas morning presents. It is only Christmas day and Thanksgiving day that my entire family can get together without the nuisance of work getting in the way. Here is one of the yummies we’ll be having:
- 4 eggs
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/12 c cream (half/half if you find Cream to be too expensive)
- ¼ ts nutmeg
- S & P to taste
- 2 c spinach
- 2 c cremini or button mushrooms
- ½ c onions
- 1 c gruyere
- 1 c smoked cheddar
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 3 oz softened butter
- 1 c flour
- 1 ts salt
- Fry your bacon, mushrooms and onions together.
- Whip the eggs/cream with seasonings until light and frothy.
- Add in your fried mixture and cheese (reserve some for the topping)
- Layer the spinach in 2-3 layers.
- Top with lots of cheese.
- For the crust, blend your butter and cream cheese together and slowly sprinkle in your flour until just incorporated.
- Press into the bottom of your pan.
- Ladle in your quiche mixture.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes.
Your Squishy Monster ^.~