The anatomy of a frito pie is quite simple. More like an open faced savory pie with a “crust” of crunchy, salty frito’s, cuddling with a tangle of spiced chili, fresh bits of onion, and melting cheddar.
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ts oregano
- 2 ts smoked paprika
- ¼ ts cayenne
- 1 ts unsweetened, natural cocoa
- ½ ts cinnamon
- 1 tb cumin
- 2 tb chili powder
- 1 fat jalapeno
- 2 c crushed tomatoes + ¼ c water
- 1 can pintos
- 1 can kidney (both rinsed and drained)
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- Frito chips
- Onions (minced)
- Cheddar (shredded)
- Soften all of your spices/garlic/peppers in a couple tabs of butter/bacon fat over low-medium heat.
- Work in your meat, coating it and breaking it up in the spiced mixture
- Pour in your tomatoes, water, and beans
- Allow it to bubble and stew
- To assemble, arrange your chips on the bottom, top with healthy ladle-fuls of piping hot chili, and sprinkle over with onions and cheddar (and squirts of hot sauce, if you dare)
Wishing y’all a happy & safe superbowl party!
Your Squishy Monster