Pink Lemonade Granita
It dawned on me this weekend that Summer was rapidly heading towards an end. For someone who thrives in the sun and withers in the cold, this was made even sadder with the fact that it’s been rare to experience a true Summer day this season with massive stretches of nothing but rain. I decided to really enjoy the fruits of Summer in these last few remaining days and celebrate with my favorite way…through food. In lieu of my regular weekend posts, I bring to you the first of my Summer series. I hope you enjoy
- 5-8 lemons (to produce 1 c fresh lemon juice)
- ½ c maraschino cherries
- 4 c cold filtered water
- 1 c sugar/honey
- optional: mint/thyme/basil and lemon shells
- Blend lemons, cherries (and herbs if using).
- Strain and add sweetener. Stir in water.
- Pour into a deep pan (this allows the granita to freeze faster).
- Freeze for about 1 hour and scrape the ice crystals with the tines of your fork.
- Every 30 minutes to an hour, continue to scrape.
- It should be ready in about 4-5 hours.
- Serve in hollowed out frozen lemons if you desire.
Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends, more Summer treats to come!
Squishy Monster ^.~