Vegan Red Velvet Cake – 100% Natural Recipe
Vegan or not, this happens to be my favorite red velvet cake ever. It’s intensely soft and moist with just a subtle kiss of cacao, dripping with a lemony, buttery frosting that ends any meal on a high note.
This is my 100% natural red velvet cake baked with better for you ingredients like healthier fats, less sugar and no fake colors or artificial anything. I’ve experimented with both spelt and whole wheat flour in this recipe and the spelt is almost undetectable for me while the whole wheat creates a denser texture and slightly nuttier taste. If a deeper crimson shade is what you’re after, you can certainly add more color than I did. I used 20 drops of this vegan plant based gel color and think another round would achieve a closer color match but what I did enjoy is that it didn’t alter the taste or consistency of my batter.
The key to vegan-izing this classic is to impart the same rich depth and flavor as its brightly hued counterpart all while keeping it clean and plant based. Any plant milk can be substituted for this recipe in a pinch but for incredible results, the full fat roundness of canned coconut milk brings a buttery quality to the cake while the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to create a beautiful tenderness.
- ½ c unbleached flour
- ¼ ts baking soda
- 1¼ ts raw cacao
- ⅛ ts salt
- ¼ c stirred canned coconut milk
- 1 tb vinegar
- 1 ts vanilla extract
- 1 tb + 1 ts unrefined coconut oil
- ¼ c sugar
- Red color*
- 2 tb + 2 ts earth balance
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- ½ ts vanilla extract
- ⅛ ts salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- For the dry ingredients, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cacao and salt. Set aside.
- For the wet ingredients, combine the coconut milk and vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, coconut oil and sugar to the “buttermilk.”
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet in batches. Do not over mix. A few lumps are just fine.
- Divide into two 4″ springform pans and bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream the earth balance and powdered sugar together until creamy.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt and lemon zest.
- Assemble and decorate as desired.