One of my favorites has got to be s’mores. What’s there not to love? Gooey marshmallow, crispy cookies, and melted chocolate? Check, check, and check!!!
This version is updated with a hint of sophistication. A dribble of rum here and a glossy pool of ganache there. (There’s even bits of caramelized sugar involved)!!
Remember when you used to toast marshmallows over a fire? The fun of doing it, the anticipation of biting into the crispy sugary skin of a fat marshmallow, the pure pleasure of how chocolate melts so beautifully onto your tongue, the satisfying crunch of a graham cracker? If you answered yes to any of the above, you’re in for a treat!
- 1¼ c graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tb sugar
- 3½ tb melted butter
- For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1¾ c unbleached flour
- 1½ ts baking powder
- 1½ ts baking soda
- 1 ts fine salt
- 1 c hot water
- 2 c sugar
- ¾ c good quality, unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tb instant espresso
- 2 eggs
- 1 c whole buttermilk
- ½ c veggie/canola oil
- 2 ts good vanilla
- 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tb rum (optional)
- 7 oz tub marshmallow fluff
- 1 c butter (2 sticks at room temp.)
- 1 c powdered sugar
- For your crust, add everything together and press onto the bottom of a cupcake liner and bake for 4-5 min at 350 and cool
- For your cake, sift together all your dry ingredients (flour, powder, soda, salt)
- In your second bowl, combine your hot water, sugar, cocoa, coffee
- In your third bowl, beat together your eggs and buttermilk.
- Slowly drizzle in your buttermilk to your third bowl.
- Tip in your vanilla
- Combine your second and third bowl together.
- In thirds, slowly sprinkle in your dry ingredients until it's fully incorporated. Be mindful not to over mix. Scoop your batter into your "crusted liners"
- Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes.
- For your ganache, melt over a double boiler or zap in the microwave for short spurts until completely melted...at the last moment, stir in the rum. Also, if you desire a super shiny ganache, drizzle in about ½ ts of oil.
- Take your cooled cupcake and dip it into your ganache
- Allow it to set and make your frosting
- Beat your fluff and butter together and slowly sprinkle in your powdered sugar
- Frost your cupcakes and lastly, set some granulated sugar on a heatproof surface and take a blow torch to it until they begin to caramelize and take on sugar "pearls"
- Sprinkle your "pearls" on your frosting and drizzle with more ganache.
Inducing sugar comas everywhere!!!
Your Squishy Monster ^.~