Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
People ask me all the time how I’m not a million pounds. Simple. I eat what I want but in moderation. I never restrict and lately, I’ve been exercising to strengthen my core. But let’s be real here guys. What’s the point of living without dessert? Sometimes, fresh fruit with greek yogurt and honey can do the trick but other times, lush deep chocolate just calls to me like a siren song. In my heart, the queen of all warm pure chocolate goodness is the seductive molten chocolate lava cake. Its hot fudge like center wrapped in soft luscious chocolate cake will make you fall in love with your first melt-in-your-mouth bite.
- ½ c soft, unsalted butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- ⅛ ts instant espresso powder
- 3 room temperature eggs
- ⅓ c sugar
- 2 tb unbleached flour
- ¼ ts fine salt
- Using either a double boiler or microwave, melt the butter and chocolate together low and slow. Stir to combine and cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and foamy.
- Pour the cooled chocolate into the egg/sugar mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Lastly, stir in the flour and salt until just combined- don't over mix.
- Using either greased ramekins or lined cupcake tins, pour in batter and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. When in doubt, slightly under-bake rather than risk over-baking. The edges should be set but the center should be very jiggly.
- Important: allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before attempting to plate.
- Serve warm with berries, mint, powdered sugar, whipped cream or ice cream.