Google French Macarons and you’ll find that lots of places are selling these petite sandwich cookies for $40 onward.
I made my own and I have to say it cost me less than $10. No overnight frozen shipping or waiting required. When you make it from scratch with your own two hands, you’re entitled to a feeling of ownership. Therefore, you can gift and share from the heart. Not to mention, quality control. “Only the finest ingredients” is a fickle phrase.
Now if you’re in the states, these are probably the best damn things next to hopping on a plane to Paris. Also, less than $10 I, (and probably most people can do). $2000 plane tickets are another story
Give these a try! You’ve got nothing to lose. If you can whip up meringue (which is a fancy term for fluffy beaten egg whites), and you have a little bit of patience (ahhh that word again)! you can definitely pop these out to share…or all for yourself. Whatever, it’s your perogative
- 4 oz almond flour*
- 8 oz powdered sugar
- 5 oz aged egg whites**
- Pinch of cream of tarter
- 2½ oz caster sugar
- 2 ts pure vanilla extract
- ½ ts fine salt
- Sift together your almonds and powdered sugar twice. Process larger bits again.
- In a stand mixer, fit with a whisk attachment, whip your egg whites, granulated sugar, and salt at speed 4 for 3 minutes. Increase to speed 7 for 3 minutes and speed 8 for 3 minutes. Whip for 1 final minute with any desired extracts/color.
- Tip in your sifted almonds plus powdered sugar. Press and fold into your whipped whites.
- Pipe into quarter sizes, rap your cookie sheet to release air bubbles and allow to sit for about 30 minutes for the cookies to develop a “shell.”
- Bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes and cool before filling.
Here are some combos that I’ve done before and love:
-Pink strawberry & strawberry jam (just add in 1/4 cup of dried crushed strawberries in with the nuts/sugar)
-The cookies as is filled with almond butter (easy and yummy)!!
-Ground pistachio instead of ground almonds with a bit of green dye & buttercream (this tastes like one of my favorite pistachio ice creams)!!
-Green tea (matcha) Powder mixed in with the nuts/sugar with green tea buttercream
-Lemon extract in the cookie paired with fresh lemon curd — a bit of yellow dye livens it up too.
Now these are just some that I’ve made but the possibilities are endless, endless I say!!
Enjoy the yum as well as the savings!!
XOXO, Your Squishy Monster =D